Jupiter Wholesale Bamboo
Palmco offers wholesale clumping bamboo in a variety of sizes, colors and textures that will create privacy and beauty in just a few growing seasons in your Jupiter, Florida landscape.
Palmco proudly grows the highest quality selection of field grown Florida Fancy (FF) palms and added exquisite varieties of clumping bamboo to our product line in 2011. We offer 15 varieties of tropical and subtropical clumping bamboo and are one of the largest palm and bamboo plantations in North America with over 600 acres in production.
Palmco grows only the non-invasive clumping varieties of bamboo. Unlike running bamboo, which has a reputation for spreading quickly to take over a landscape, our clumping bamboos don’t need containment when planted in the ground and won’t escape from containers.
Why We Love Clumping Bamboos
- Clumping bamboos spread very slowly. Each new rhizome produces only one culm, located very close to its mother culm. They turn upward and become canes immediately, grow within a fairly tight, contained circle, and are easily maintained.
- Clumping bamboos won’t creep more than a few inches per year. Running bamboos, in comparison, send shoots out underground, traveling as far as 15 to 20 feet from the main plant, producing new culms all along the way and can easily grow out of control.
- When grown in optimal conditions, clumping bamboos will grow fast and reach their mature height in as little as 4 years. Species like Oldhamii Bamboo, for example, can grow 2 to 3 feet each day during the summer growing season!
- Non-invasive clumping bamboos are native to tropical and semi-tropical regions of the world and can grow in a variety of conditions. They can grow in wetland areas, high mountain elevations, and in dry regions where droughts cause other crops to fail.
- Bamboo does not need agricultural chemicals (fertilizers, pesticides) to thrive. Therefore, no chemicals leach into the soil or get into the environment.
Here are just two examples of our most colorful clumping bamboo varieties that will create stunning privacy screens and dazzling focal-point plantings in your landscape.
Asian Lemon Bamboo – This stunning bamboo, which is prized as an ornamental in its native China, will give your landscape eye-catching color. Lemon yellow culms are accented by occasional green stripes and dark green leaves, and new culms have pink and peach tones. Bambusa eutuldoides ‘Viridivittata’ has an upright form and will grow to 25 feet with 1” diameter culms, making it an ideal height for a privacy hedge. It’s moderately hardy and frost tolerant to about 21°F. Give it several hours per day of full sunlight and plenty of mulch and moisture for the best growth.
Golden Hawaiian Bamboo – The extremely beautiful Bambusa vulgaris ‘Vittata’ features bright yellow culms with random green vertical stripes that resemble green enamel paint and makes a stunning focal-point planting. It’s capable of growing to a height of 30 to 50 feet within three years and has 4” diameter culms. Because it’s easy to propagate, this is the most common ornamental bamboo planted in the tropics. Golden Hawaiian Bamboo is cold-sensitive and susceptible to frost damage at 27° to 30°F, but the roots won’t be damaged.
If you have a new project underway in Jupiter or want to add a touch of the tropics to a client’s existing landscape, try one of Palmco’s spectacular varieties of cold hardy clumping bamboo. Call us today at (239) 283-1329 to find out about our exceptionally strong, healthy plants.